Thursday, January 13, 2011

No. 3 "Into the Night"


 If someone came up and asked me what my favorite time to take pictures was, I'd have to say at night. I love night photography. Some of my favorite shots were taken at night. Different colors seem to come out at night, more vibrant colors. Artificial lights also create different colors that you have to be careful of. Scenes seem to take on a different tone at night, too.

I have an entirely different shooting process at night. Every step takes longer because you're generally shooting with a tripod and setting the exposure for the scene is more complicated, plus the exposures can get really long really fast. When shooting film in low light situations you have to worry about the film's "reciprocity failure." For longer exposures, the film becomes exponentially less reactive to light, so you have to make the exposure even longer to compensate for this. I'm usually in one spot for at least 5 minutes while I make sure everything is just right, plus I usually take several different exposures of the same scene just in case. You can also shoot hand held with really fast film, like the last image which was shot on ISO 3200 film to freeze "action" scenes.

When I'm out shooting at night, I really enjoy the whole process and the final result is pretty cool, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment